Good things about being in the Pitts
I must admit, the first bit of living in Pittsburgh was rather depressing. Especially coming from a relatively mild and sunny Oregon winter in rural farmland to the harsh, overcast, potholed city living that is the typical Pitt February. I'm pretty sure when I was flying in to town, if I had taken an aerial shot of the city, it would not have made a difference using color or b&w film. Of course, not knowing anybody and not knowing the city (it's quite confusing) also compounded to make for a rather dull existence.
But however though, thanks to the wonders of modern science, life is definitely better now. First, the sun started coming out, which turned the sky blue and the trees green (instead of gray and black). Then I got plugged in to a Bible study at church and started meeting cool people. Work's better too, now that I'm finishing up training, and starting to do real work. So this all brings me to what are the good things about Pittsburgh, that I've noticed in my >3 months here.
1. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has better comics than the Oregonian or the Statesman Journal. Killer comics include Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy, and Bizarro.
2. maps.google.com has better resolution satellite imagery of the Pittsburgh area, than it has for both the Portland and Salem areas.
3. Pittsburgh has two professional sports teams. This year. If hockey gets its act together, that will bring it up to three. I've already been to a Pirates game at PNC Park, which has the advantage of being about 4 hours closer than Safeco Field was.
4. Of course the fact that I got a job in Pittsburgh is a good thing.
5. The roads provide a workout for my arms and eyes as I attempt to be the artful dodger of potholes while navigating the sinuous highways and byways of the area.
6. And last, from all appearances, Pittsburgh women aren't any worse than those back at home.
But however though, thanks to the wonders of modern science, life is definitely better now. First, the sun started coming out, which turned the sky blue and the trees green (instead of gray and black). Then I got plugged in to a Bible study at church and started meeting cool people. Work's better too, now that I'm finishing up training, and starting to do real work. So this all brings me to what are the good things about Pittsburgh, that I've noticed in my >3 months here.
1. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has better comics than the Oregonian or the Statesman Journal. Killer comics include Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy, and Bizarro.
2. maps.google.com has better resolution satellite imagery of the Pittsburgh area, than it has for both the Portland and Salem areas.
3. Pittsburgh has two professional sports teams. This year. If hockey gets its act together, that will bring it up to three. I've already been to a Pirates game at PNC Park, which has the advantage of being about 4 hours closer than Safeco Field was.
4. Of course the fact that I got a job in Pittsburgh is a good thing.
5. The roads provide a workout for my arms and eyes as I attempt to be the artful dodger of potholes while navigating the sinuous highways and byways of the area.
6. And last, from all appearances, Pittsburgh women aren't any worse than those back at home.

2 Comments:
Another good thing about the Pitts is that it is sorta' on the way from Iowa to Maine.
maps.google.com is difinitely cool.
Post a Comment
<< Home