Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why I try to avoid the news

I used to read the newspaper every day. Thought it would be good to keep up with current events, follow the world's headlines. But it seems like the more I read it, the more depressing it was. And listening to talk radio was just as bad (although, at least it was more entertaining).

First, the liberal media can't say a single good thing about any of the conservative politicians; if something positive happens, there's a negative spin. Then, all the conservative media just talks about how bad the liberal media is. And right now, I get the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which is libertarian and quite often just dogs on the liberals and the conservatives.

Here are a couple articles I found interesting.
First - Depressed and lacking purpose in life after your lousy high school English teacher gave you an F on the sonnet you wrote in the hall before class? Well, thanks to the efforts of some politically correct Brits, you might not have to endure the slap in the face of "failing." Oh no, the new term is "deferred success." Riiiighhht... Maybe it should be "deferred realization that you are a loser." Personally, if the resolution passes I feel sorry for the people that really are failures. Now they are going to be super-duper depressed when they get to the end of life, and realize that all of the deferred successes they were building up turned out to be dust in the wind.
Second - Thanks to the modern wonders of unilateral free speech, publicly-funded universities can repress your ability to reply to unsolicited emails you find offensive. At least if you mention God.
Third - Guess how much the Kyoto Protocol costs per degree C of "saved" global warming. ... Nope, guess higher... way higher. Something along the lines of $100 trillion. For the non-mathemeticians, that's 1 with 14 zeroes following it. Of course, we couldn't actually tell if the average Earth temperature actually dropped that much, but theoretically...

Well, that's enough for today. I need to go do something more uplifting and happy.

in the player: Days of the New - Days of the New [Green]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home