Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Superficial discussion

Every once in a while, my friends and I get into discussions as to the differences between a "cute" girl and a "hot" girl. Here's my take on the subject, so if you've ever wanted insight into the mind of the Brammer-man, now's your opportunity. Please note, these are my personal opinions, and may not reflect the views of anybody else I know (other guys, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Also, I make a bunch of hasty generalizations and do a fair amount of stereotyping. Hopefully this isn't too analytical...

I'll start with hot girls. I think of hot girls as being those with slimmer athletic builds, catch-your-eye longer hair, taut (and usually tan) skin, batty eyelashes, and a bright shiny smile. In general, I think hotness is largely superficial, both static and dynamic. They look good and know how to catch your attention as well.

On the other hand, cuteness is harder to define. This is much more a function of personality and a nice harmony of features (not necessarily the same as those of a "hot" girl). Cute girls have a quick and sincere smile, big eyes that laugh, pretty cheeks, and they brighten up any room.

"Hot" features tend to degrade over time, or take effort to maintain. "Cute" features, though, are more independent of age or physical condition. It is for this reason that I tend to favor cuteness over hotness. That, of course, is not to say that the two are mutually exclusive. In fact, I would prefer a girl who had qualities of both. But in the interest of long-term enjoyment and avoiding the realization that I married somebody just because they starved themselves and got skin cancer from a tanning booth, my choice is the cutie, not the hottie.

Hope you hotties aren't offended.

in the player: Israel & New Breed - Real

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

huh.

...what about the smart girl? or perhaps the artistic girl? or the fun-loving girl? Why do guys always have only two categories? I demand more categories! Girls always have more categories (luckily for most of your species).

(and lest you think this comment snarky, I must point out that you completely asked for it...begged, really) :)

2:51 AM  
Blogger jb said...

Smart girl? Artistic girl?

I thought my post title fairly well described the subject matter. Superficial generally applies to outward features (although as I mentioned, sometimes "cute" is more than superficial). Still, I suppose I could add more categories, just to make you happy. Like "girls named Devon who are in grad school at U of O" or something. Or maybe not...

And, to be honest, there has to be at least some element of physical attraction for a girl to be bumped up to the John-is-interested category.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home