Hunting season
After living in my awesome Section 8 apartment complex for nearly a year, I got the usual lease renewal form. While pondering this piece of paper (and the slight rent increase mentioned therein), several thoughts sprang to my mind. First off, I was reminded of the fact that I didn't know this was a government-subsided low income housing complex when I first landed. Second, I remember my pretty weird neighbors. The ones who come home drunk and puke on the hallway (which is thankfully not part of my usual travels). Third, I remember how dumb it is to have a single washing machine shared among 7 units. Of course, I am also reminded that I am, in fact, paying rent, and would rather not be building somebody else's personal financial empire.
Thus, I have decided that I should start looking for a house. House hunting season is now open in Brammerville. I think I will be here at least another 3 or 4 years, so that should be enough time to make it worthwhile. Second, I already have about 1.5 roommates lined up already. A house payment split among three people would definitely be cheaper than what we are currently paying for rent, and they would all be building my equity... Third, I soooo want to have the flexibility afforded by owning my own house. Such things as being able to screw stuff to the walls, add a dishwasher, build a carport, etc. Can't really do those things at an apartment (except the screws, but some putty should cover the evidence).
This all being said, I know some of you have houses. What did you look for when you were in the market? Anything you want changed?
In other news, only one more week before I don't have to work any more this year. Woo-hoo!!!
in the player: Rescue - Reunion Live
Thus, I have decided that I should start looking for a house. House hunting season is now open in Brammerville. I think I will be here at least another 3 or 4 years, so that should be enough time to make it worthwhile. Second, I already have about 1.5 roommates lined up already. A house payment split among three people would definitely be cheaper than what we are currently paying for rent, and they would all be building my equity... Third, I soooo want to have the flexibility afforded by owning my own house. Such things as being able to screw stuff to the walls, add a dishwasher, build a carport, etc. Can't really do those things at an apartment (except the screws, but some putty should cover the evidence).
This all being said, I know some of you have houses. What did you look for when you were in the market? Anything you want changed?
In other news, only one more week before I don't have to work any more this year. Woo-hoo!!!
in the player: Rescue - Reunion Live

1 Comments:
Yay on buying a house! What a very grown-up thing to do :)
I don't think I could give you any housing advice that your parents couldn't give you, but here are a couple things we kept in mind when we were hunting:
--a good roof
--major appliances that you hopefully won't have to replace too soon (unless you have plans to replace them). Nothing like losing your heat pump in the middle of the winter.
--your home appreciates faster in the "good" neighborhoods with the good schools. Obviously, you pay more, but in the end you get more.
--energy efficiency. Our home, even with new windows, isn't efficient. Hence, the heating bills from the devil (as in, I think we might be paying for his heat too)
--if you can, check with local law enforcement to see how often people dial 911 in the neighborhood you're interested in buying
--and finally (although I have plenty more) don't buy a former meth house. Probably not a major issue back east, but definitely one to consider around here in the meth capital of the country.
Good luck! And Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment
<< Home