Sunday, March 26, 2006

Iron Chef

I need to work on my cooking skills. It's not so much that I can't cook delicious and marginally nutritious food, but I've managed to inflict bodily harm on myself due to poor technique on several occasions. For instance, the last two times I've made salsa have ended in severe physical trauma. On Super Bowl Sunday, I was busy chopping up jalapenos, and the stupid little pepper shot its vicious juice right into my eye. It squirted so hard my contact was knocked out. Flippin' idiot! Needless to say, I was a little teary eyed during the game, and not so much because Seattle lost.

Then today, I was making salsa again, since my family is here and I have to run my recipe by my dad, who is a salsa connoisseuer (can I use Spanish, French, and English words all in one sentence?). And wouldn't you know it, I was cutting an onion, and then BAM!!! my little paring knife attacked my right thumb with incredible fury. I barely restrained it from taking the whole tip of my thumb off; who knows what it would've gone after next. Good thing I have taken the Rex Kwon Do self-defense course; that strength of a grizzly, speed of a pyuma, and wisdom of a man really came in handy.

All this to say that I should probably refine my food preparation techniques somewhat. My current gung-ho attitude toward chopping, dicing, slicing, and mincing may end up being my end. Perhaps some body armor and safety goggles may be appropriate. Forget shiny new pots and pans: I need some safety gear!

And for those wondering, my salsa recipe is based closely on the one from Cooking for Engineers.

in the player: Michael Gungor - Bigger Than My Imagination

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that finger is mending nicely. And hopefully your salsa didn't end up extra red...ew.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home