Pop quiz:
What does the National Guard do? Through some tortuous logic, one could conclude that this branch of the Army guards our nation. This includes defending against military threats, as well as supporting other agencies during emergency situations. For example, when a local law enforcement agency is overwhelmed with civic unrest, the Guard will come in and provide a little more force where necessary.
One could make the statement that the border patrol is understaffed and underequipped for its task of maintaining the integrity of our northern and southern borders. It follows that summoning the National Guard would be appropriate for this situation. But nooooo, Mexico's government is threatening lawsuits and generally condemning our country's recent decision to mobilize several thousand Guard troops to assist in patrolling our border. First off, Mexico has no leg to stand on, given their poorly regulated Federales and generally corrupt law enforcement. Second, their logic stands some improvement, too. Witness the spokesperson for Mexico's immigration department:
A great speech that W could have delivered last night can be found HERE. Basically, nobody should be complaining that people doing risky illegal things are being punished for that, and by golly, we're a sovereign country based on laws, so obey them!
Oh well, I just read an article on Yahoo that made the Mexican government seem pretty ridiculous, so I thought I'd vent for a sec. In other news, a great new Mexican restaurant opened up here, so I went and partook of some excellent camarones a la diabla.
in the player: party shuffle, right now Flecktones - "Big Country"
One could make the statement that the border patrol is understaffed and underequipped for its task of maintaining the integrity of our northern and southern borders. It follows that summoning the National Guard would be appropriate for this situation. But nooooo, Mexico's government is threatening lawsuits and generally condemning our country's recent decision to mobilize several thousand Guard troops to assist in patrolling our border. First off, Mexico has no leg to stand on, given their poorly regulated Federales and generally corrupt law enforcement. Second, their logic stands some improvement, too. Witness the spokesperson for Mexico's immigration department:
I think Nunez is trying to say that sending the Guard will make attempted crossings increase, but that is obviously absurd, so she switches cause mid-sentence while keeping the same effect. Whatever.Sending the National Guard "will not stop the flow of migrants, to the contrary, it will probably go up," as people try to get into the U.S. in the hope that they could benefit from a possible amnesty program, Nunez said.
A great speech that W could have delivered last night can be found HERE. Basically, nobody should be complaining that people doing risky illegal things are being punished for that, and by golly, we're a sovereign country based on laws, so obey them!
Oh well, I just read an article on Yahoo that made the Mexican government seem pretty ridiculous, so I thought I'd vent for a sec. In other news, a great new Mexican restaurant opened up here, so I went and partook of some excellent camarones a la diabla.
in the player: party shuffle, right now Flecktones - "Big Country"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home