Saturday, July 29, 2006

Panama, pt. 3

While in Panama, God taught us a lot of things, some lessons for us personally and some lessons applicable to the broader church. Here are my unorganized observations. Pardon if it seems like I'm rambling.

1. It goes without saying that we've been materially blessed a lot more here in the States than a lot of the people in Panama (or other third world countries). However, we can't focus on this too much; Satan would like us to forsake their spiritual needs under the guise of "ministering to the body". Every person, regardless of his/her position in life, needs Jesus Christ. In the spiritual respect, people in semi-wealthy Peters Twp, PA, aren't much different than those in ghetto Panama City. We need to spread God's message of salvation, then minister to earthly needs.

2. People in Panama are a lot more open to the gospel. I think this has two causes: first, wealth has a tendency to shroud spiritual needs by bombarding the individual with temporal pleasures. Second, America has been over-saturated with lukewarm weekend Christianity. If non-Christians were to actually see a 24/7 difference in the lives of Christians versus their own lives, I think they would be attracted to that which they didn't have. Sadly, too many "Christians" live the same way, just don't sleep in on some Sundays. I think we'd be better off spending resources on evangelizing places more open to Christianity, and concentrate on cleaning up our own lives to be something attractive versus merely different.

3. Whatever happened to rescuing people from Hell? It seems like a lot of church ministries concentrate on (or solely tackle) the physical needs. "Come to our church and we'll rescue you from divorce/relationships/financial issues." Seriously, folks, how about saving people from eternal condemnation. If Christianity is merely an escape from the occasional device of Satan, rather than a truly eternal purpose, it seems a little weak. In Panama, we were ministering to people's eternal needs and it was amazing. I think the whole wealth distraction thing might have an impact on their response to the gospel.

4. After having made the point that people's spiritual needs are more important than their physical or emotional needs, there still is the fact that we should help out those in need. Proverbs 28:27 says, "He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." I've seen them, and the last thing I should do is forget them. It's probably the easiest option, but apathy is worst state of mind. Something I really need to work on is when I spend money on stuff, I should ask myself, "how will this purchase glorify God." The same goes for spending my time or any other resource on something. That's part of the reason why I play bass in church and youth group instead of being in a different band. I just need to get my act together and apply that principle to all my resources, not just the easy ones.

Anyway, those were just some random thoughts I had. Stuff I still need to mull over and figure out how to best implement them in my life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have excellent pix;
You have inspiring commentary;
Looks like you had a great trip;Funny how a little trip can adjust one's perspective on so many things.
I may be there in a couple weeks with David.

12:45 PM  
Blogger atticusprime said...

perfect bro! i like it... now if those who need to hear that would be willing to listen... not only that but understand it too... guessin more prayer is in order eh?

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home