Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Nativity Story

Went to go see The Nativity Story today with the youth after our youth group. I wasn't super duper impressed, although it wasn't terrible. Mostly, it seemed to me like they started with a standard nativity set, then got more information from the Bible as necessary. Parts of it ended up being very cliché. Well-placed rays of light were shining down right on the manger, and everybody (shepherds, wise men, sheep, etc.) was lined up in a perfect 'v' formation outside the stable (which, thankfully, was a cave, and not a big wooden structure). Then again, there were parts that were very good and realistic. So it's kind of a mixed bag from a content standpoint.

Technically, there wasn't anything spectacular. A few of the backgrounds were obviously painted, so I think in today's day and age, they could have done a better job by making models or doing something with computers.

Still, I think it did a better job than some reenactments at capturing the social dynamic of Mary's being with child, and integrated fairly well with Zechariah and Elizabeth having John the Baptist.

In conclusion, the everything-is-perfect vibe pretty much killed it for me, as far as getting me involved in a story about real people having something supernatural happen to them. Obviously the story itself is a very meaningful one to me, as a Christian. I'll stick with the Bible for now. In all, I'd give it a C+. Not as good as Passion in the from-the-Bible category. (I still need to see A Night With The King.)

Has anybody else seen it? Thoughts?

in the player: The Police - Greatest Hits

1 Comments:

Blogger Devon said...

Actually, I really liked the Nativity Story. And I know that the actual "nativity scene" was very Christmas-pageant-esque, but I think they planned it that way, because it provides a contrast to the much more realistic rest of the movie. Like, here's these teenagers living these unstable, subsistence-level lives, and then they end up in your traditional Christmas story. So now, whenever you see the ceramic nativity scene on your countertop, you'll think about the parts that aren't portrayed so nicely.

In other words, I think that they were consciously appealing to the emotional impact of the well-known Christmas scene, in order to connect it with what we're already familiar with.

Yeah. Them's my thoughts.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home